I made this hard maple dresser/mirror to accompany the king size bed that is also featured in this gallery. The finish is also a water based polyurathane like the bed. I finished the drawers with three thin coats of shellac sanding between. The drawers came out smooth as silk and I buffed out the exterior finish with sure buff pads on a random orbital sander and automotive polishing compound. I then buffed it out the same way with furniture wax and I was quite pleased with the glass like finish. It came out flawless.
These are the four corners I rabbited/dadoed to accept the face frame, side panels, and back, leaving no gaps to hide with trim which gave me the clean look that I was looking for.