7 Questions with Steve Latta
In one of our most enlightening 7-question videos, Steve Latta answers life's tough questions, like what is your favorite tool and what makes you passionate about woodworking.
Contributing editor Steve Latta has written for Fine Woodworking since 1994 and taught full-time in the furniture making program at Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology for more than 20 years—but he’s finally setting up his home shop. Now that he and his wife have an empty nest, he’s emptied his garage of bikes and toys and taken the tarps off his tablesaw and planer. And he still has his original bench, a repurposed table from a high school chemistry lab. “I have done my best work at this bench, and plan to do a lot more,” he says.
Last winter, associate editor Barry NM Dima cornered Steve at the Working Wood in the 18th Century conference in Williamsburg, Va., and asked him the following questions:
- Who is your favorite furniture maker alive or dead?
- What is your favorite piece of furniture?
- What is your favorite tool?
- Lie-Nielsen block planes
- Starrett combo square
- 1-in. Blue Spruce chisel
- Gerstner tool chest
- Why are you passionate about woodworking?
- What is the most common mistake you see beginners make?
- If you could only make things or designs, which would you do?
- To do it all over again, would you still become a furniture maker?
Sign up now! Join FWW contributing editor Steve Latta, Thursday, July 23, 7 pm EST for a webinar on his time-tested methods for building a cabinet efficiently and solidly.