Second-Hand Tools Part 2
As you may recall, in a previous post I described how my new mortiser that I thought was such a great deal turned out to have a cracked casting. Since the casting holds both the chisel and the motor, my new tool was nearly destined for the scrap pile. But instead, I ordered a new part from Sears and brought it back to life.
Swapping all the parts was actually a pretty straightforward procedure and I didn’t need any special tools. Now that I’m up to $110–between my original purchase and the new part–you might ask, “Is having a used mortiser worth all this effort?”
Until I start making square holes, it’s tough to know and I already used up this weekend’s shop time fixing my purchase, so I’ll save that discussion for a final installment. But in the future, you can bet I’ll give a more critical eye to the second-hand tools I’m considering.
Removing the cap screws that hold the motor to the main casting was the toughest part of the rebuilding. The process went faster once I realized the manufacturer had drilled access holes for the two least-accessible fasteners. Before that, at a quarter-turn at a time, it was slow going.
Almost done. Here I'm installing the covers that provide access to the chuck. From start to finish, the process took a little over two and one-half hours. On the difficulty scale, I'd say this project ranks about a 2.5 out of 4.
Ready for action. I even reinstalled the warning plate on the front of the machine, just in case I decide to pawn my purchase off on somebody else.