- Video: Coloring Wood Like a Pro
Learn to apply dye stains and correct the color once they're applied in this excerpt from the DVD 'Hand-Applied Finishes'
- Video: Two Techniques for Applying Glaze
Learn how to create a mission oak finish and mimic inlay in this excerpt from the DVD 'Hand-Applied Finishes'
- An Exploration in Finishing
A modern take on jin-di-sugi and ebonizing
- Dyes Bring Out Best in Figured Maple
James Condino's finish is designed to bring out the multidimensional, layered color of figured maple. His method uses a dark dye followed by a series of lighter ...
- The Impact of Light on Dyes and Stains
Whatever dye or pigment stain you use, it will fade or change color with exposure to bright light. The solution is not to swear you'll never stain wood again (after ...
- Video: How to Fume Furniture with Ammonia
Watch a demonstration of this classic Arts and Crafts finishing technique
- Video: Color Matching Woods
A finish of dye, shellac, and wax brings a rich, consistent color to three different woods in a Chippendale mirror
- Creative Bleaching Techniques
Most woodworkers turn to bleach to get rid of unwanted stains but often overlook the medium's creative potential. Jeff Jewitt gives step-by-step directions to create ...
- A Classic Walnut Finish
Create an antique and durable finish on walnut with a combination of stains, shellac, and glaze
- Pitfalls of Finishing Pine
Cross-grain scratches, bleeding pitch, and blotchy staining can mar your finish if you don't use proper techniques
- Combining Dyes and Stains
You may think that the only reason to dye or stain a piece of furniture is to change its color, but many more subtle changes are possible. With dyes and stains ...
- Protect Inlay with Selective Staining
Master finisher Jeff Jewitt explains a technique for staining a piece without staining the stringing. Step by step, he details how he protects the unstained areas. ...
- Video: Ebonizing White Oak
Stain wood black with this homemade solution
- Easy-to-Make Stains Offer Unique Effects
Jeff Jewitt's favorite chemical stains are ferrous sulfate, iron buff, and sodium carbonate. In this short article, he describes how to mix and apply these easily ...
- Altering the colors of dyes and stains
All colors are not created equal. Anyone who has ever bought a stain or dye and then been surprised by the results knows that. But with a little knowledge of color ...