Problem with Stuck Router bits
I have a habitual problem with my DW625 plunge router. The router bits always get stuck in the collet and requires force to loosen and remove. I’ve tried varying the depth in which I insert the bits and also various amount of tightening of the collet. They always are very difficult to remove. The collet is for the 1/2″ router bits which I use exclusively with this router. Is this a common problem with DeWalt routers, or this model in particular? Does anyone have a suggestion how I can eliminate this problem?
If there is no remedy for this problem, does anyone have any suggestions as to the best method of removing the “stuck” bits from the router, without damaging the bits? I am currently using a small vice grip pliers to loosen the bit by tightly locking it on the bit, then using the spindle lock to hold the shaft, turn and loosen the bit in the collet, then taping the vice grip pliers with a small hammer until the bit is ejected from the collet. (There must be a better way!)
Any help and suggestions will be appreciated. This is otherwise a great router but with this one significant problem.
On most routers, if you back off the collet nut until it is loose, and then continue to loosen it another turn or two with the wrench, the nut will grab the collet by a lip or snap ring on the outer end of the collet and pull it free. Occasionally the lip will get worn off, or the snap ring is missing, but other than those possible problems the collet should come loose if you back off the nut an extra turn or two.
I removed the locking nut and collet from the router. On inspection, I now see the ring inside the nut. I noted that the collet was not seated past the retaining ring of the nut, so I gently tapped the two together. Now the collet is loosely secured inside the nut. When I reassembled them onto router and hand tightened a bit into the router collet, they were secure. When I loosened the nut the bit was easily extracted! I believe this may have been the problem all along! Thank you for the explanation. I would never have come up with this solution without your help. Esp. since the nut and collet appear not to be broken. I was not aware that they should be together as one unit when the nut is completely removed from the router. This probably happened the first time I changed the collet from 1/4" to the 1/2" collet many years ago!
Just one more question: should I wax or otherwise lubricate the bits before inserting them into the collet? Would that help extractions or would that cause the bits to slip in the collet when cutting?
Steve,Glad I could help.Other than a very thin application of wax or oil to prevent rusting, if that's a problem in your shop, you shouldn't have to lubricate the shanks of your router bits. A thin application of oil to the outside of the collet and the lip that locks it into the nut will make the collet release easier and prevent wear.John W.
stuck bit dewalt 625 router
I want to explain to people reading this for the first time exactly what is happening. When changing collets NEVER put the new collet in the router first. The collet MUST be put in the nut and SNAPPED in place, then into the router. If you carefully look at the collet it has a recess for the snap-ring that is inside the nut. When putting the collet in first and then the nut, then the bit, the snap-ring will sit on TOP of the collet thereby jamming it in place. It never gets a chance to fit underneath the head of the collet. The collet and nut have to be regarded as a set, and not taken apart. However, this means buying extra nuts for each collet. If you think you can remember to ALWAYS put the new collet in the nut you won't need to buy extra nuts. (I wondered why there were so many people selling nuts on EBAY) This doesn't help if you have a stuck bit now. The way I did it was to put gaffers tape on the push button that locks the shaft. Then I put a screwdriver in the slot of the collet (the closed one) and hit it with a hammer. I had to do this 2 or 3 dozen times working my way around the collet. A medium hard hit 5 or 6 times, then change slots. After a half hour, it popped out with no damage to anything. I hope I haven't bored people with an excessive explanation.
This forum post is now archived. Commenting has been disabled