Making a cherry headboard and wish to match the finish of the other Ethan Allen pieces in the bedroom. They have a dark cherry stain on cherry hardwood and are finished with semi-gloss lacquer and appears to be buffed. I have ordered the matching stain from Ethan Allen but I don’t know yet if it is oil or lacquer based.
1) should I use a wood conditioner like MinWax conditioner? Other suggestions for treatment before staining? Will MinWax work under lacquer?
2) Should I wipe or spray the stain. From the appearence of the other furniture, I would say that they had been sprayed. Any tricks here?
3) Should I thin and use retarder in the lacquer? What percentages? I live in humid Houston. Will be spraying the lacquer with a regular compressor-type spray gun.
4) How many coats? I would think 4 or 5 with 400 grit w/d paper sanding between coats.
5) How long after last coat should I wait before buffing? Is lambs wool bonnett ok?
Any help appreciated!
Sorry if this is posted twice!