- Benchtop Planers
We test 11 benchtop planers that handle stock up to 13 in. wide and 5 to 6 in. thick, run on a 12-volt circuit, and have dust collection and indexed knives. The ...
- Bottom Line on Segmented Cutterhead Cost
Is the cost of upgrading your planer's conventional cutterheads with a segmented model worth it?
- Segmented Cutterheads Change the Game
One project’s worth of rough lumber is enough to nick and dull the straight, steel knives on your jointer and planer. That's not the case for segmented cutterheads, ...
- Q & A: Slow Feed Rate Signals Dull Planer Blades
- Tool Test: Benchtop Thickness Planers
Over the years, benchtop planers have evolved from crude job-site workhorses to tools that can fill the needs of exacting furniture makers. Nowadays, ergonomics ...
- Video: Jointer/Planer Changeover
See how these combination machines change from one tool to another
- Tool Test: Jointer/Planer Combo Machines
Combination jointer/planers, widely used in Europe but still relatively rare in the United States, maximize shop space. Instead of buying a large, pricey jointer ...
- Video: Delta Outfits Planer with Quick-Change Knives
Easy knife-changing system designed to speed up planer maintenance
- Video: What to Look For in a Planer
For small shops, these machines offer good value and performance, but consider features before you buy
- The Jointer and Planer Are a Team
Armed with both, you can flatten boards to any thickness
- Tool Test: Benchtop Planers
Nine benchtop thickness planers were given a hands-on test to evaluate their accuracy and smoothness of cutting. Lon Schleining also tested them for ease in changing ...
- Mid-Sized Thickness Planers
Editors at Fine Woodworking evaluate 14 examples of 14- to 16-in. thickness planers for a number of features. They look at surface quality of lumber after planing, ...
- Thickness-Planer Primer
Despite differences in size and features, all planers operate on the same principles. If you understand those principles, you can adjust your planer properly to ...