This cradle was prepared for Samuel, the first child of Joe and Rebecca, and my first grandchild. Plan is “Pendulum Cradle” from Wood Plans. Pretty much followed the plan as is, except I used mortise/tenon instead of dowel joints, and cut mortises for each slat instead of running a 1/4 groove the length of the top and bottom rails (75+ mortises!). Also, I modified the upright/trestle joint so the stand could be knocked down. It was a good plan – smooth rocking motion also. Cherry with 3 coats of danish oil. I ended up gluing some 3/4″ planks together to get the 1 1/16 thickness for the stand, but it worked out well.
Cross dowels and 3" connector bolts allow frame to be dismantled (knock down).
Instead of recommended hardboard for the basket bottom, I used 1/4 birch plywood. The lower rails and the end panels were grooved to accept the plywood. Cross pieces support the ends and middle of the plywood from the bottom as well.
Had a nice, long piece of 8/4 cherry. Matching figure when ripping and gluing up planks is always a challenge.
Lots of slats, lots of sanding, lots of mortises - but they were only 1/4 deep. Ran out of my 8/4 plank by the time I got to the rails so they are a bit lighter.