I am new to woodworking. I am looking to buy a 14 inch band saw. However I have several questions.
1) When I went on the website to look at reviews concerning resawing, the pictures show the cut of interest as being closest to the fence. Seems counter-intuitive to me. Somehow I want to think of using the saw like a meat slicer, and would put the cut of interest on the outside of the blade so it is free to fall away and not run the chance of binding. Does it really matter?
2) In regards to the blade supports above and below the table. Roller bearings vs solid material supports. Which is best, or are really speaking Ford vs Chevy? Wouldn’t the roller bearings get loaded with saw dust and make them less effective? Forget the cost issue, which is better?
3) The October review of band saws was critical of the ease of blade changing on the Rikon 14 inch saw. In looking at the different saws, Jet, Powermatic, etc. it seems simpler than these! What am I missing?
4) I am a little confused about blade drift. Does it make a difference if you tweek the position of the blade on the wheel to adjust for the drift vs changing the angle of the fence to account for any drift. I realize that this will be less of an issue if free hand resawing is done, but I am thinking of using the band saw with the fence as a guide to make repeatative cuts.
5) Since I have been advised to get rid of the blade that is included with whatever saw I get, why do the different manufactures not get it and deduct the price of their blade or give an allowance towards the blade of ones choice, or just give better quality of blades in the first place?