Here is my situation: I really want to lay an aspen floor in an outdoor screened porch, but the boards are at 6% MC while the porch is at probably 12-15% MC. My instinct is to just sticker the boards and wait… but I really wish I could lay this floor NOW.
I was thinking that if I knew the exact expansion rate for aspen going from 6% to 15% I could calculate the expected swelling for each board and make shims of that size to create that spacing between each board as I build the floor.
Since the boards are only nailed through the tung, they would be free to expand into the grooves as the moisture increases gradually to 15%
So… Is this totally insane? Has anyone tried it?
If you all tell me to just wait, I will. If someone has done this with success, I would love to hear about it.