- FWW Poll: Finding Wood, Finishing Are Biggest Frustrations
Finding good, affordable tools and keeping shop machines in tune also bug respondents.
- Q & A: Dealing with Sappy Spanish Cedar
- Video: Horizon Sawmill Tour: Evergreen Initiative
Learn more about the company's conservation practices, in part four of this exclusive video tour.
- Video: Horizon Sawmill Tour: Introduction
Take an exclusive video tour of an up-to-date commercial sawmill.
- Video: Horizon Sawmill Tour: Kiln Drying
See how the mill dries lumber in six massive state-of-the-art kilns, in part three of this exclusive video tour.
- Video: Horizon Sawmill Tour: Sawing Logs
Watch hardwood logs transformed into boards, in part two of this exclusive video tour of an up-to-date sawmill.
- Bring Out the Best in Mahogany
When planning the finish for this mahogany bookcase, Peter Gedrys knew that he had a diamond in the rough. The boards already had beautiful figure and color that ...
- What's the Difference: White Oak vs. Red Oak
Two varieties differ in pore size, leaf shape, and clearly wood color
- Lumber from Mini-Mills
Looking for unusual or interesting boards that you won't find at the local hardwood supplier's? You might want to check out one of these boutique sawmills. Usually ...
- It's Wood Week at Virginia Tech
Events include a career fair, public lecture, and technology conference
- Video: How To Dry Lumber
A seasoned sawyer reveals his secrets for drying lumber in a kiln or in the open air
- Video: Quarter Sawing Lumber
Find out why this unique cut of lumber is so expensive and so coveted
- Video: From Log to Lumber
Follow the life of a tree as it makes its way from log to furniture-grade lumber
- Video: Tour a Boutique Lumbermill
Follow along with a day in the life of a Pennsylvania custom mill to see how trees are harvested, cut, and dried to create furniture-grade lumber
- A Unique Stock of Wood
Oregon wood dealer fells one of the last standing American chestnut and sells it off to grateful wood turners