- Secret to a Sheraton Leg? Divide and Conquer
The turned legs on Mario Rodriguez's Sheraton table look daunting. They start with tight stack of rings, followed by 12 carved, tapered reeds that end in a small ...
- Video: How to Turn a Shaker Leg on a Lathe
Breeze through this elegant turning with guidance from a Shaker expert
- Scrapers: The Turner’s Best Friend
When you develop your turning techniques, don't forget the scraper. With this highly useful tool in hand, even a novice can smooth the inside and outside curves ...
- Video: Lathe Scraper Basics: Perfectly Flat Surfaces
How to use a boat-tail scraper to make a flat platter
- Video: Lathe Scraper Basics: Smooth Surface for a Bowl
A large dome scraper gives smooth cuts in changing grain
- Video: Grinding a Bowl Gouge
How to reshape and put a new bevel on a gouge with a fingernail grind. Plus, learn about Raffan's new DVD on bowl turning.
- Video: How to Turn at a Safe Speed
A good rule-of-thumb for turning at the proper speed
- Video: The Perfect Tenon for a Scroll Chuck
Learn the best ways to turn a tenon using a skew or gouge
- Green-Turned Bowls: Working With Warp
In this excerpt from his new book, The Art of Turned Bowls, Richard Raffan explains how to plan and turn beautiful bowls from freshly cut wood.
- Woodworking Specialties
Online resources for boatbuilding, carving, turning, and crafting instruments
- A Turner's Basic Tool Kit
A group of tools to get you started on spindle and faceplate turning
- Woodturning Workshop: Creating a Staved Vessel
In these excerpts from the new PBS series, host Tim Yoder shows how to cut, glue, and turn hardwood staves to create a distinctive vessel
- Video: Creating a Staved Vessel: Assembly and Glue Up
This excerpt from the PBS series shows how to cut, clamp, and glue the hardwood staves that form the basis for the vessel
- Video: Creating a Staved Vessel: The Stages of Turning
This excerpt from the PBS series shows how to turn the body of the vessel, then add solid-wood elements for the neck and base