- Mastering the Card Scraper
Take a tutorial on using the card scraper -- a simple tool that, once mastered, will help you smooth surfaces and transform your work.From Fine Woodworking #201...
- Lie-Nielsen at Fine Woodworking
You’re invited to a hand-tool event at our shop in Connecticut Oct. 3 and 4
- Video: How to Use a Router Plane
FWW contributing editor Garrett Hack shows two ways that this venerable but often-overlooked handtool can help you work faster.
- Cut a Mortise in Minutes
The time-honored practice of cutting mortises with a drill and chisel can be frustrating, mainly because the process of chiseling out the waste between drilled ...
- Hand Tool Skills
Free online extras for our newsstand-only publication featuring expert hand-tool advice and demonstrations
- Remembering John Brown: An Impassioned Advocate for Handtools
A master craftsman made a compelling case for handtools in FWW a decade ago. His point of view has lost none of its bite.
- Q & A: Why Aren’t All Planes Skewed?
- Hand Tools Get Wide Use, According to Latest Knots Poll
More than 4 out of 5 say they use hand tools for many woodworking tasks
- Video: A Shooting Board in Action
This combo produces dead-on accuracy for squaring, mitering, or trimming parts to exact lengths.
- The 5-Minute Dovetail
Start each woodworking session with a quick, practice dovetail to work out the kinks and get in tune with your hand tools. That's what Gary Rogowski teaches his ...
- Garrett Hack at Lie-Nielsen Event
FWW contributor to demonstrate hand-tool skills at North Bennet St. School Nov. 30 and Dec. 1
- Video: The Essential Handplanes
In the first of our 8-question series on handplanes, Philip C. Lowe, the award-winning furniture-maker and teacher, discusses the basic planes for any shop
- Using Hand Screws
Hand screws may have been around since ancient times, but that doesn't make them outdated or obsolete. In fact, they have lasted precisely because they can do a ...
- Video: Bob Van Dyke Shop Tip: Using a Card Scraper
Smart techniques for using this essential smoothing tool
- FWW Art Director at Lie-Nielsen Hand Tool Event
Demonstrating hand tool skills in Philadelphia, Oct. 12 and 13