- Remembering John Brown: An Impassioned Advocate for Handtools
A master craftsman made a compelling case for handtools in FWW a decade ago. His point of view has lost none of its bite.
- Q & A: Why Aren’t All Planes Skewed?
- Hand Tools Get Wide Use, According to Latest Knots Poll
More than 4 out of 5 say they use hand tools for many woodworking tasks
- Video: A Shooting Board in Action
This combo produces dead-on accuracy for squaring, mitering, or trimming parts to exact lengths.
- The 5-Minute Dovetail
Start each woodworking session with a quick, practice dovetail to work out the kinks and get in tune with your hand tools. That's what Gary Rogowski teaches his ...
- Garrett Hack at Lie-Nielsen Event
FWW contributor to demonstrate hand-tool skills at North Bennet St. School Nov. 30 and Dec. 1
- Video: The Essential Handplanes
In the first of our 8-question series on handplanes, Philip C. Lowe, the award-winning furniture-maker and teacher, discusses the basic planes for any shop
- Using Hand Screws
Hand screws may have been around since ancient times, but that doesn't make them outdated or obsolete. In fact, they have lasted precisely because they can do a ...
- Video: Bob Van Dyke Shop Tip: Using a Card Scraper
Smart techniques for using this essential smoothing tool
- FWW Art Director at Lie-Nielsen Hand Tool Event
Demonstrating hand tool skills in Philadelphia, Oct. 12 and 13
- Video: Flattening a Handplane Sole
In the fourth of our 8-question series on handplanes, an award-winning furniture-maker and teacher discusses how to repair a damaged sole
- Video: Setting a Handplane Blade
In the fifth of our 8-question series on handplanes, an award-winning furniture-maker and teacher discusses setting the blade for the most effective cutting
- Video: Smoothing Wide Boards with a Handplane
In the last of our 8-question series on handplanes, an award-winning furniture-maker and teacher shows how to level a wide board by hand
- Video: The Proper Camber on a Handplane Blade
In the third of our 8-question series on handplanes, an award-winning furniture-maker and teacher discusses blade angles and sharpening
- Video: Tips for Planing Difficult Grain
Learn how to use a handplane to smooth highly figured woods in the sixth of our 8-question series on handplanes