Three suggestions for improving Knots and the Fine Woodworking website:
Suggestion 1: Add a Folder to Knots entitled “For New Woodworkers”
Suggestion 2: Add a section to the Fine Woodworking Website entitled “For New Woodworkers”
In the past two weeks, three people have posted messages on Knots saying they are new woodworkers and want to know how to get started and what tools to buy. I sent similar responses to the first two. I read the entire set of responses to each of those threads, and I am not sure a new woodworker can deal well with the large amount of sometimes conflicting advice. If Knots adds a Folder called “For New Woodworkers”, it would be easy for new woodworkers to find previous threads which answer their question. When a new woodworker asks the old question, we can easily tell them where to find the answers.
For a more organized attempt to help new woodworkers, The FW Website could generate a section with its own “button” called “For New Woodworkers”, and it could have some more organized sections to help them out. For example:
– How to find woodworking clubs and others who could give you lessons.
– Different types of woodworking that you might be interested in.
– A sequence of 10 projects, beginning with the simplist, with instruction.
– Illustrated lessons on common woodworking tasks, joints, etc.
– A sequence of tasks for those who want to pursue the use of handtools-only, and a sequence for those who want to use power tools.
– Advice on buying your first tools.
– the first two books to buy
Suggestion 3) In the Profiles section of Knots, there is room for each member to put info about themselves. However, the thing I would like to know about each member is: what do they build????? So why not add a gallery of 5 to 10 slots for the members to add photos of their work.
Thumbs up or down? Are these suggestions worth doing? Should they be modified? If there is support for either idea, we can let FW know.