- Pro Portfolio: The Clever Chair
Michael Fortune builds efficiency into the process of making custom furniture. Learn about his process for designing and riffing on his trademark No. 1 Chair.
- Video: Seats of New York Furniture exhibit
Take a guided tour of the exhibition that accompanied this year's meeting of the Furniture Society to see a wide array of chairs, benches, and stools in a variety of styles and forms.
- Chairs from the Irion Commission
A slideshow gallery of more work from the extensive commission that reproduced 90 pieces of classic American furniture
- Best Outdoor Furniture Projects
Perfect for the summer: A quartet of designs for classic outdoor furniture from the Fine Woodworking archives
- Video: Assembling an Adirondack Chair
Watch the parts go together and learn a simple technique for cutting and shaping the arms
- Celebrating the Chair
Maine furniture exhibit brings together 20 chairs by 20 makers to recognize the art of sitting comfortably
- Talking Shop with Brian Boggs
The celebrated chair maker talks about the history and future of his collectible ladderback chair
- Yale's Furniture Treasures
Accompany curators and experts on an audio tour of the Yale University Art Gallery's Furniture Study
- Video: Details of a Queen Anne Side Chair
Get a close-up look at the making of this 18th-century Philadelphia classic
- Video: Making an Arts and Crafts Chair
Explore the design and construction of this project and see how the back splat is constructed and assembled
- A Short History of Chairs
- The Garden Chair, Part 1: Bent Lamination
Part 1 of this garden chair project involves making the bent laminations that are used for the sweeping curves in the arms, seat, and back slats. The process of ...
- A Revolution in Chair Making
Beauty, comfort, and strength come together in this chair designed by Michael Fortune. In traditional chairmaking the legs, rails, seat, and back are part of a ...
- Windsor Rocker Without Special Tools: Part 2
In this second in a two-part series on making a Windsor rocking chair, most of the hard work is done. What remains is the fun stuff. In part one (FWW #218), we ...
- Windsor Rocker Without Special Tools: Part 1
This Windsor rocker was inspired in part by the chairs of Sam Maloof, which is why the sculptural quality of the seat extends to the arms, crest, and spindles. ...