- Turn a Spindle
There's an art to turning a spindle with clean, well-defined details. Peter Galbert breaks down the process into a series of steps: shaping the center details, ...
- Turning Furniture Parts (Part 2)
In Part 2 of Peter Galbert's series on turning, learn the subtleties involved in planing a smooth surface, plus cutting the precise notches, beads, and coves seen ...
- Video: How to Turn a Tapered Shaker Leg
Used sanding pads and a neat trick using graphite make for one terrific taper
- Secret to a Sheraton Leg? Divide and Conquer
The turned legs on Mario Rodriguez's Sheraton table look daunting. They start with tight stack of rings, followed by 12 carved, tapered reeds that end in a small ...
- Video: How to Turn a Shaker Leg on a Lathe
Breeze through this elegant turning with guidance from a Shaker expert
- Video: A Jig for Cutting Flutes and Reeds
A shopmade lathe accessory lets you cut precise flutes and reeds in tapered Federal-style legs
- Video: Woodturning with a Steady Rest
This important accessory prevents spindles from vibrating. Ernie Conover shows how to use a commercial steady rest and how to make your own.
- Video: Learn to Turn Barley-Twist Candlesticks
Find out how to lay out, carve, and smooth this distinctive open-twist shape
- Video: Turn a Windsor Chair Leg
Watch a pro turn this classic leg design, download full-size plans, and build the whole chair using expert advice and how-tos
- Wood Turning Basics
The world's best teachers show you better techniques, beautiful projects in this special online collection
- Q & A: Replacing Gouge Handles
- Video: Turning Beads With a Skew Chisel
Practice turning beads in this exercise excerpted from the DVD 'Turning Wood'
- Barley-Twist Candlesticks
A lathe and a few simple tools are all you need to make a barley-twist candlestick, a traditional design made up of threads cut into a cylinder. Most of the project ...
- Get a Handle on Your Chisels
There are premium chisels out there at flea markets, estate sales, and auctions--provided you know how to make your own handles. Bob Smalser demonstrates how to ...
- Head to Head: Midi-Lathes
Light-weight lathes from Rikon and Steel City Tool Works a good size for furniture making