- Expressive But Efficient: Dean Pulver's Tables
Arcs and odd angles abound in Dean Pulver's tables, but he has made dozens of them to the same design. See how he designs the bent laminations and uses different ...
- Putting the Primal into Production: Dean Pulver
Dean Pulver combines the efficiency of machine work with the satisfaction of handwork to make his innovative tables. He got his production acumen from years of ...
- How to Tame Tricky Glue-Ups
The key to all glue-ups—especially those on curved parts—is that the clamping pressure must be at an exact right angle to the glueline, and centered on the joint. ...
- Q & A: Prevent Springback in Bent Laminations
- How to Get Two Curves from One Stick
See how Greg Klassen crafts the split and bent-laminated back on his side chair....
- The Garden Chair, Part 1: Bent Lamination
Part 1 of this garden chair project involves making the bent laminations that are used for the sweeping curves in the arms, seat, and back slats. The process of ...
- 7 Secrets of Steam-Bending
Learn to produce astonishing curves in your furniture using steam-bending. Michael Fortune demonstrates how to bend wood without breaking it, using a steambox and ...
- Video: Vacuum Press Tips
Get tips on how to get the most from your vacuum press
- Build an Outdoor Lounge
This comfortable lounge chair, with its modern lines and shapely curves, looks complicated. It incorporates 25 steam-bent staves, which also sounds complicated. ...
- Inside a Tapered Lamination
- Video: Hot-Pipe Steam-Bending: Furniture Parts
Learn how to bend thicker pieces of wood and get multiple parts to uniform shape. Part three of a three-part video series.
- The Magic of Hot-Pipe Bending
This is a very easy technique for bending thin strips of wood to virtually any shape. Better yet, the simple apparatus is made from a few hardware-store parts.
- Video: Hot-Pipe Steam-Bending: Free Form Bending
Watch Fortune demonstrate this unique technique on a pair of salad tongs. Part two of a three-part video series.
- Video: Video Demo: Hot-Pipe Steam-Bending: Introduction
Learn an easy technique for bending thin strips of wood to virtually any shape. Part one of a three-part video series.
- Q & A: My Laminated Curve is Shrinking