- Tool Test: Wiping Varnishes
Wiping varnishes promise to work well for both brushing and wiping—wiping where there is less wear, and brushing where you need more durability. We tested 16 wiping ...
- Rubber-band brush wiper
- Video: Finishing Technique for Greene and Greene Furniture
A simple recipe for reproducing this classic furniture style's finish
- Easy Danish Oil Finish
Bring out the natural beauty of wood using Danish oil finishes. A mixture of varnish and either linseed or tongue oil, they provide protection without obscuring ...
- Brushes for Woodworkers
Finishers feel about brushes the same way woodworkers feel about clamps: You can't have too many. The right brush for narrow, curved surfaces isn't going to work ...
- Make Shellac Your Go-To Finish
It's easy to apply, whether by brush, rag, or spray. It's compatible with almost every other finish. It dries quickly, is easy to repair, and it gives you a beautiful, ...
- The Language of Finishing: Part 2
In part two of The Language of Finishing, learn the terms used to describe the process of preparing a surface for finishing, and applying the finish itself. From ...
- Q & A: Advice for Spraying Finish Outdoors
- Q & A: One Coat of Wax Does the Trick
- Video: How to Apply an Aerosol Finish
Aerosol finishes offer woodworkers a simple, economical way to apply a super smooth finish, without investing in a high priced spray rig.
- How to Apply Wiping Varnish
Six easy steps to a flawless finish
- Video: Easy Three-Part Furniture Finish
Learn how to apply an easy three-part clear finish to your furniture
- Wiping Varnish: The Only Finish You’ll Ever Need
Searching for a silky smooth, low-luster finish that lets the beauty of the wood shine through? Try wiping varnish. Michael Pekovich says it gives the durability ...
- French Polishing Demystified
Learn the art of French polishing from someone who has spent years perfecting the process. Follow along as Vijay Velji preps the surface, fills the grain, pads ...
- Original Arts and Crafts Finish Without Fuming
Learn how to apply an authentic-looking Arts and Crafts finish that simulates age and doesn't require harsh ammonia fumes.