curly maple and cherry tables
Just finished four tables that I started two years ago. I incorporated several skills and techniques which were new to me: resawing to get bookmatched table tops, hand-cut dovetails, sock feet, abrasive planing with a double drum sander to achieve zero tear out despite the extreme figure of curly maple, cutting drawer fronts from the aprons for perfect grain match, finishing prior to assembly in order to get the best possble result. I had thought that four simultaneous tables would offer some economies of effort, but these tables have so much handwork that this project just about ground my shop to a halt.
Cherry accents include two pinstripe inlays on each leg, sock feet, and hand-made drawer pulls of maple/cherry lamination.
This angle shows the silky mirror-like tops. I used three coats of oil-based poly with extreme care paid to dust free environment, removal of nibs with tweezers, and using a paring chisel to address imperfections after drying. I sanded between coats, then final rub with #0000 steel wool and wax.
This shows the finishing being done prior to assembly. The MT joints had already been fine-tuned. Pre-assembly finishing was the key to my near-perfect finish using oil poly.
Hand-cut dovetails. Definitely a challenge. This view also shows the pulls.
Solid and book-matched cherry bottoms. The double drum sander came in handy here.