This was loosely based on an old side table that I use as my computer desk. This project really helped me develop my skills. It required hand-cut dovetails, more intricate mortise and tenon joints, dados, interior drawer supports, more precision and better planning not to mention fitting the drawer after. This was also the first time I used a dye(thanks transfast and transtint). As in my first table I used wood that was more readily available and went with poplar for the bulk of the table. Also used red oak for the drawer opening and plywood for the drawer bottom.
I finished the table with a dewaxed garnet shellac. I applied several layers to the body and french polished the top and drawer front. I rubbed back the sheen from a high gloss to give some age and finished with a good wax.
You can’t tell by these pics but the color of this table changes with every view, from a lustrous brown to almost black. Turned out a little more formal than I was expecting.
Dove-tailed drawer. This is actually the drawer that I use for my profile pic.
A coat of mineral oil before the shellac helped to even out the splotches and deepen the color. I got in a hurry and didn't wet the top before applying the water based dye. Didn't make that mistake for the rest of the table and had much better results.
Dovetailed in the cross support for the drawer. I was concern about the stress around the drawer so I used red oak instead of the poplar. You can also see the original color before the dye was applied