- A Trestle Table with Modern Appeal
This trestle table combines a classic design with modern details in a way that will fit into almost any home. The base is held together with mortise-and-tenon joints ...
- A Bench That Fits Every Room
The clean, contemporary style of this bench makes it versatile enough to use in the dining room, foyer, hallway, porch, or even the back yard. The seat slats are ...
- Pro Portfolio: The Clever Chair
Michael Fortune builds efficiency into the process of making custom furniture. Learn about his process for designing and riffing on his trademark No. 1 Chair.
- Furniture from Western Hardwoods
An audio slideshow featuring woodwork in alder, bay laurel, claro walnut, madrone, and tanoak, plus commentary from the makers
- Pro Portfolio: Beautiful, the Hard Way
A look at the evolution and growth of a furniture designer
- Furniture Society Wants Your Prototypes
A broad call for entries for a summer 2008 juried exhibition of production furniture mockups
- Fortune Earns Top Furniture Prize
Canadian studio furniture maker wins Award of Distinction from The Furniture Society for his body of work and contributions to the craft
- Pro Portfolio: When West Meets East
Western craftsmen interpret classical Chinese furniture with an exhibit at the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, Mass.
- Pro Portfolio: Design from Down Under
Nature and a vivid imagination inspire the designs of an Australian furniture maker
- Video: A Society Dedicated to Furniture
A collective of studio furniture makers carries on the business and craft of woodworking
- Pro Portfolio: Perfectly Irregular
From fantasy to classical design, one furniture maker describes what inspires his broad range of work
- Coffee Table in Mahogany
This mahogany coffee table is modeled after the modern solid-wood Scandinavian furniture of the 1950s. The thin top appears to hover above two muscular arching ...
- A Short History of Styles and Forms
- A Contemporary Corner Table
An aversion to waste led Tony O’Malley to design and build a three-legged table to fit in a corner so it’s unobtrusive and useful. Using extra legs he had lying ...
- Wharton Esherick
Fine Woodworking's John Kelsey visited the Esherick Museum in Paoli, Pennsylvania, and discovered that the influence of Wharton Esherick on contemporary American ...