Hand Work Hand Tool Blog

Hand Work Hand Tool Blog

Help solve a hand tool mystery

comments (2) November 19th, 2010 in blogs

MKenney Matthew Kenney, special projects editor
thumbs up 2 users recommend

We recently received a very nice hand written letter from a reader in the midwestern United States. Among the many things he mentioned was a Stanley bench jig. You can see his sketch of it above. Basically, it uses a hardwood wedge to trap a board (on edge) in a steel channel that's tapered on one side. I've seen shop made jigs that perform the same function, but never the Stanley one. Google searches have been unproductive so far. I know that if I knew the name of the jig I could easily find more information about it. I'm sure that one of you has seen this gizmo before and knows the name, so I'm asking for some help. Please post a comment below and share the wealth.

Personally, I've never seen one of these jigs for sale anywhere. I'm sure they do pop up every know and then, but you could easily make one. We showed a very similar jig called a bird's-mouth stop in an article by Norman Parillo ("4 Bench Jigs for Handplanes," FWW #202).

posted in: blogs, bench jigs, stanley tools

Comments (2)

denismo denismo writes: I bought this item as a very inexpensive item at a flea market in late forties when the public were starving for basic post war hand tools.Instead of a hardwood wedge,a diecast piece travels along the upper edge.There are no identifying stampings or marks.

Posted: 4:52 pm on January 4th

saschafer saschafer writes: There's something similar shown on p. 110 of Scott Landis' _The Workbench Book_.


Posted: 8:19 am on November 20th

You must be logged in to post comments. Log in.

Save up to 51% on Fine Woodworking


Become a Better Woodworker

About This Blog

Get the latest from the hand tool world with tips, techniques, reviews and more.

Blog edited by Fine Woodworking associate editor Matt Kenney.