Woodworking Safety Guide

Oily rags blamed for fire that damaged Oregon home

comments (0) August 25th, 2009 in blogs

Tom Tom McKenna, Managing Editor
thumbs up 4 users recommend

Damage from fire ignited by oil-soaked rags in the workshop. - CLICK TO ENLARGE

Damage from fire ignited by oil-soaked rags in the workshop.

Photo: Courtesy of statesmanjournal.com

A fire in Salem, Oregon, is being blamed on linseed-oil soaked rags improperly disposed of. According to fire officials, the oil-soaked rags ignited via spontaneous combustion. The woodworker and homeowner had used the rags on a project that day, and the rags ignited in the evening. Just a reminder that you should dispose of oil-soaked rags the right way: put them in a container with a lid for controlled disposal, or hang them to dry in a well ventilated area.

The homeowner suffered minor injuries, and damage is estimated to be around $60,000.

For more tips and information on this topic, and to watch a video of an oil-soaked rag combusting, check out this previous post from Fine Woodworking's Guide to Safety.

 



posted in: blogs, , shop, fire, oil soaked rags, spontaneous combustion, garage

Save up to 51% on Fine Woodworking

 

Become a Better Woodworker