- Q & A: Seal Your Project with Dewaxed Shellac
- Make Shellac Your Go-To Finish
It's easy to apply, whether by brush, rag, or spray. It's compatible with almost every other finish. It dries quickly, is easy to repair, and it gives you a beautiful, ...
- Don't Overlook Aerosols
Don't be a snob -- aerosols are in professional finisher Teri Masaschi's arsenal and they ought to be in yours, too. There's simply no reason to resist the convenience ...
- Shellac’s Amazing Journey
Shellac starts life as the by-product of a tiny insect, no larger than a poppyseed. By the time it is grown, harvested, and refined, it has evolved into one of ...
- Q & A: Best Finish for Bathroom Furniture
- Q & A: Use Dyes and Sealers That Have Different Solvents
- Video: Tips on Making a Shellac Pad
An easy-to-make applicator lets you put down thin, even coats of shellac
- Video: Refinishing Furniture: Step Three--Sealing and Coloring with Shellac
Professional techniques to seal and color the wood. Third in a five-part video series on refinishing.
- Mixing Shellac
Combine shellac flakes or buttons with denatured alcohol to create the right 'cut' for your next finishing project
- Easy Finish Ages a Classic Cherry Piece
Dan Faia's first goal when finishing his porringer-top tea table was to tone down the brightness of the new cherry wood. Cherry’s tendency to blotch can make dyeing ...
- Q & A: Dilute Shellac to Stain Veneered Plywood
- An Antique Finish for Tiger Maple
Lonnie Bird shares the secret for re-creating the distinctive stripes, three-dimensional depth, and rich amber color of an antique tiger maple finish. Bird's method ...
- One Fast Finish
Finishing expert Jeff Jewitt describes this technique as a "down and dirty" French polish. Ideal for a low-build, "in the wood" type of look, this wipe-on finish ...
- Video: Color Matching Woods
A finish of dye, shellac, and wax brings a rich, consistent color to three different woods in a Chippendale mirror
- Favorite Finishing Products
Still using the same finishing product you started with 15 years ago? You may be missing a product that can save time and effort and give a better result. Professional ...