- Get started with your plunge router
Given the choice between a fixed-base router and a plunge model, Jeff Miller will take the plunge router every time. Because it can plunge in and out of the work, ...
- Video: Straight Talk on Straight Bits
Something as simple as a straight router bit can get confusing fast. Web producer Ben Strano helps you choose the right router bit for the job....
- Q & A: Router Table is Better for Small Shops
- Video: Mortising with a Router
Learn how to cut a clean, accurate mortise in under 60 seconds
- Video: Router Depth Stops Demystified
Low-tech plunge-router trick to avoid dials, knobs, and turret systems
- Video: Quick Tip: Jointing Without a Jointer
Learn a jointer-free way to get an absolutely straight, square edge with a router. It’s the perfect technique for panel glue-ups.
- How to Cut Sliding Dovetail Joints
Use a router table for fast and accurate drawer joinery
- Q & A: Wrenches and Router Collets
- Video: A Simple Dado for Shelves
Use your router and a shopmade workstation to cut perfect dadoes
- Video: Routing Dadoes With a Template
Matching dadoes are a sure thing if you use a plywood template to guide the router
- Video: Using a Shopmade Mortising Jig
A sturdy jig, used with a plunge router and edge guide, ensures well-cut mortises
- Floating-Tenon Joinery
Once you have a simple system for making mortise-and-tenon joints, constructing tables, chairs, and case goods can become a straightforward, fast, and consistent ...
- Tune Up Your Router
John White of Fine Woodworking explains how to get finicky routers into shape without spending much time or money. He shows how to fix height-adjustment issues, ...
- In Search of the Right Mortising Technique
Strother Purdy of Fine Woodworking asked several woodworkers how they cut mortises. He sought out Carl Swensson, Brian Boggs, Jeff Miller, Nial Barrett, Tom Stangeland, ...
- Template Routing Basics
Long ago, Pat Warner discovered a devilishly simple technique for cutting dadoes. In this article, he explains how to cut them with a template and router and a ...