- Choosing and Using Japanese Chisels
There is a reason why Japanese hand tools have such a great reputation—solid craftsmanship. And when it comes to chisels, John Reed Fox says, Japanese varieties ...
- How To Set Up Your New Japanese Chisel
If you're buying a Japanese chisel for the first time, you need to know that it will require some setup before you can use it. For these tools come in what Westerners ...
- Q & A: Aligning Rabbet Plane Nickers
- Customize Your Carving Tools
A rose carved with 15 cuts is better than one carved with 45. That's what Allan Breed learned from his first carving teacher. And when he bought that teacher's ...
- Q & A: Chamfer End Grain Without Tearout
- Make a Pair of Grooving Planes
You don't need power tools when you need to create a lot of grooves of the same width and distance from the edge, such as when making boxes or drawers. All you ...
- Try Back-Beveling Your Plane Blade
Sometimes, even the most meticulously tuned handplane can't handle wood with challenging grain, and your are left with torn-out surfaces. That's when you should ...
- Make a Bargain-Basement Plane Perform Like Royalty
A common misconception among many new woodworkers is that you need an expensive plane to experience the joy of handplaning—the whisper-thin shavings, the tool gliding ...
- Bench-Vise Secrets
The bench vise is one of woodworking’s most necessary and fundamental tools, vital for holding work while you saw, chop, pare, plane, scrape, and perform any number ...
- Q & A: Mortise Gauge is Key to Tight Mortise-and-Tenon Joints
- Sharpening a Skew Chisel
Learn how to carve this most important hand tool used in carving for undercutting or cleaning out corners
- Sharpening the V-Tool
Learn how to sharpen this complex carving tool with a grinder and stones
- Video: Keyway Keys Guarantee Accuracy
Learn an old machinist's secret to verify the accuracy of your work.
- Handplaning 101
This companion piece to Plane Like a Pro gives the basics of handplaning a surface so that it is flat, straight, and smooth. Handplane users who have struggled ...
- Video: How to Crown a Plane Iron
Learn how adding camber on a plane blade can prevent unsightly ripples in a workpiece