- Video: Secrets for Better Sanding
Learn the right way to random-orbit sand in Part I of our 3-part video series on sanding and surface prep
- Video: Bench Chisel Basics
The secret to better chiseling involves light cuts that preserve a keen cutting edge. Learn how to use your chisels the right way.
- Turn Your Shoulder Plane into a Star Performer
Despite its name, Phil Lowe generally doesn't use his shoulder plane to trim tenon shoulders (they are too short and narrow), but it is his go-to tool for trimming ...
- Video: Backsaw Exercises Help You Saw Like a Pro
When it comes to using a handsaw, practice really does make perfect.
- Video: How to Mill Lumber with Handplanes
Learn how to mill lumber by hand, and you'll never be limited by your milling machinery
- How to Master the Backsaw
You may be replete with power tools, but that doesn't mean you don't need a backsaw. A backsaw can cut joinery just as quickly as a tablesaw or router when you ...
- Smooth Curves with Hand Tools
Every furniture style has its own visual language, and that language often involves curves. Whether you bandsaw curves or rout them, they all require smoothing ...
- How to Make a Mallet
Make a stout woodworking mallet with an oversize head. You'll use it for any number of tasks, from cleaning out a mortise or chopping dovetails to delicate detail ...
- Q & A: Modify a Chisel for Cleaner Cornering
- Q & A: Easy-Start Handsawing
- Work More Safely with Featherboards
Whether shopmade or manufactured, a featherboard is a valuable third hand that keeps workpieces tight to the fence or tabletop as they pass a blade or bit. Not ...
- Camber: The Secret to Perfect Planing
If your smoothing plane leaves ridges on the surface of your workpiece, even after meticulous sharpening, try adding a slight arc to the cutting edge of the blade, ...
- 4 Chisel Tricks
You can do so many things with a simple, flat bench chisel: chamfer a tenon and pare its cheeks and shoulders so it fits into the mortise more easily, mortise a ...
- How to Break an Edge
How you break the edges can make or break your projects
- Q & A: Plane Both Faces Equally When Thicknessing by Hand