- Video: Chop a Mortise by Hand
Learn the basics to cutting a haunched mortise with a chisel
- A Joint that Exploits Wood Movement
Traditional wet/dry joinery uses heat and moisture to strengthen a post-and-rung connection
- Video: Excerpt: Make a Chair From a Tree
A look at the process of making traditional greenwood chairs
- Video: Chop a Hinge Mortise
Rough out the mortise, then chop and pare to the lines
- Video: Cutting a Wedged Mortise
Cut a flare into the mortise to accommodate the wedging action
- Video: Fitting a Fat Tenon
Three tips to fine-tuning the fit of a mortise-and-tenon joint
- Video: How to Make a Floating Tenon
Mill the tenon stock once you've established the size of the mortises
- Video: Using a Shopmade Mortising Jig
A sturdy jig, used with a plunge router and edge guide, ensures well-cut mortises
- All About Mortise-and-Tenon Joints
- Perfect Mortise-and-Tenon Joints
Using a plunge router, tablesaw, edge guide, and shopmade jig, Jeff Miller makes mortise-and-tenon joints that fit right every time. Here, he shares his technique ...
- Understanding Wood Movement
Wood is a living, breathing material, and as a result it moves. Learning why and where it moves will help you become a better furniture maker. In this article, ...
- The Mighty Wedge
Wedged mortise-and-tenon joinery is a low-tech but effective method of joining wood, and it evokes a sense of timeless craftsmanship matched only by dovetails and ...
- Joining Legs to Aprons
The life of a table is not easy. All the stress concentrates on the leg-to-apron joint, which holds a table together. Here, Garrett Hack offers step-by-step directions ...
- Floating-Tenon Joinery
Once you have a simple system for making mortise-and-tenon joints, constructing tables, chairs, and case goods can become a straightforward, fast, and consistent ...
- Double Mortise and Tenon Improves Joint Strength
This article explains how to design and execute a double mortise-and-tenon joint. First, prepare the stock with the end use in mind, and then think through the ...