- Video: How to Pop the Curl in Cherry
A fail-safe finishing method, when you want some blotchiness to accentuate the grain
- Rediscovering Milk Paint
It's durable and versatile, it comes in a variety of colors, and it contains no toxic ingredients. It's no wonder that milk paint, one of the world's oldest decorative ...
- Hot-Rod Your Varnish
When it comes to finding the perfect wipe-on finish, there's nothing like homemade. At least that's what Roland Johnson discovered when he started searching for ...
- Sample Boards: No Surprises
One of the secrets to finishing is advance planning, and sample boards are a great way to do this. When you test a finishing sequence on a sample board rather than ...
- Free Woodworking Plans from Getting Started in Woodworking
Download the measured drawings and plans for all of the projects featured in our special video series
- Video: A Fast-Drying Wiping Varnish
As they say at Indy, start your engines. Here's how to mix and apply a durable, fast-drying wiping varnish.
- Bring Out the Best in Mahogany
When planning the finish for this mahogany bookcase, Peter Gedrys knew that he had a diamond in the rough. The boards already had beautiful figure and color that ...
- Finish Recipe: Bow-Front Hall Table
Give your project an antique finish in three easy steps
- Finish Recipe: Oil and Wax
This hand-applied finish requires no specials skills and brings out the beauty in the wood
- Finish Recipe: A Classic Step Stool
Pop the grain and protect your wood with this easy finish
- Finish Recipe: Hickory and Ash Blanket Chest
Give your projects a great finish in two easy steps
- One Editor’s Foolproof Finish
This medium-luster, in-the-wood finish never fails to give good results. You first seal the wood with shellac, then apply three or more coats of gel varnish, and ...
- Video: Build a Multidrawer Cabinet: Applying the Finish
In the final installment of our interactive project, see how Gochnour finishes the cabinet with Danish oil and shellac.
- Video: How to Create a Sunburst Finish
See how mixing two colors of water-based dye creates a striking two-color effect that enhances the appearance of figured wood
- Make a Simple Spray Booth
Inexpensive foldaway booth lets you safely spray indoors.