- Finish Recipe: Display Cabinet on a Stand
A shellac polish finish can be a very attractive option for cabinets or other low-wear objects.
- Q & A: Best Finish for Tabletops
- Video: High Gloss in Minutes
Use an electric polisher and automotive polishing compound to create a mirror finish in no time
- High-Gloss Finish Made Simple
Learn the secrets to applying a high-gloss finish that brings out the color, depth, and figure in wood. Brushing or spraying alone won't do it. The secret is applying ...
- Finish Recipe: Shaker Chest of Drawers
Traditional oil-and-varnish finish is repairable and easy
- Torture Test for Outdoor Finishes
Wood and weather don't work well together. So if you want to keep that outdoor table or Adirondack chair looking like new, a protective finish is a must. But which ...
- Finish Recipe: Arts and Crafts Look Without Harsh Chemicals
Gregory Paolini mimics the look of a traditional Stickley finish on his bow-arm Morris chair without fuming the piece using industrial ammonia
- Gilding is Easier than You Think
Finishing expert Peter Gedrys gives a step-by-step tutorial on gilding, the art of adorning a surface with ultra-thin layers of gold leaf. This material was used ...
- Q & A: Removing Sticky Boiled Linseed Oil
- Video: Foolproof Brushing Techniques
Learn how to use the right brush for the right job
- Video: Peter Gedrys: A Clear Finish for Maple
Peter Gedrys shows you how to preserve maple's pale, natural look with a water-based finish
- Re-creating a Shaker Finish
Linda Coit specializes in antique restoration and repair, but she rarely gets the chance to duplicate an entire piece. So when Chris Becksvoort enlisted her shop's ...
- Finishes For Foodware
Turner Mike Mahoney has spent a good portion of his career making items intended to hold food. So he's an expert on food-safe finishes, and he's prepared to divulge ...
- Blotch-Free Cherry
Everybody loves cherry, and what's not to love: It's hard but not heavy, it cuts easily, it has interesting but workable grain, and it ages beautifully. But if ...
- Finish Recipe: Cricket Table
An arts-and-crafts-looking finish, but without the fuming