SketchUp Has a New Home
This morning an announcement was made of SketchUp leaving Google and moving to Trimble. There’s a blog post on the SketchUpDate blog here. It’ll be interesting to see what new stuff comes out of this. It’s early yet but I think there could be some new features and integration developed.
More info aggregated by FW editors:
Will SketchUp continue to be free?
- “Trimble intends to… continue to offer both the free and professional versions to a multitude of markets” according to Trimble FAQs
- “The free version of SketchUp is an important part of our world as well, and that isn’t changing in the least,” according to John Bacus, Product Manager, SketchUp
- “the free version of #SketchUp isn’t going anywhere!” according to SketchUp Community Manager Mark Harrison on Google Plus
What happens to the 3D warehouse?
- “Trimble will partner with Google on running and developing the 3D Warehouse. For the foreseeable future, Google will host and operate the 3D Warehouse for Trimble…” according to Trimble FAQs
What does this mean for woodworkers?
- “If you’re one of the many, many people who use SketchUp for something else [not architecture, engineering and construction]—from education to woodworking, geo-modeling to movie-making—rest assured that there will be a SketchUp for you, too,” according to John Bacus, Product Manager, SketchUp