General International Makes Mortising Easier with a Beefy Benchtop Mortiser
General International is introducing a beefy 5/8-in. benchtop hollow-chisel mortiser (model 75-040 M1) that looks to have some real convenient features for woodworkers.
- The head, column, and base are all heavy cast iron, which should help dampen vibration
- The head slides on dovetail ways, which helps eliminate any slop, and the stroke is controlled by a gas head-cylinder, for smooth operation
- A dual depth stop controls both up and down travel, a convenient feature that could help you save time when your punching out a bunch of mortises
- A large handle that can be switched to either side for lefties and righties
- A large, easy to see switch on the front
- A big table (14 1/4 in. by 11 1/8 in.) with pull-out extensions to support long workpieces
- And a convenient tool holder, so you’ll never have to search for bits and wrenches
The mortiser has a 1/2 hp, 110-volt motor and is available now, for $400. For a list of distributors, visit General International’s website.
We’re sending one of these to one of our tool experts, Rollie Johnson, to test for the Tools & Materials department. Rollie will be happy to see it on his front porch when he gets back from vacation.
Lefties don't have to feel left out with this machine. The handle can be switched to the left side.
General International's new 5/8 in. mortiser looks like it will take the headaches out of mortising, with many convenient features.
Slide-out extensions make it easier to handle long, unwieldy workpieces.