Oily rags blamed for fire that damaged Oregon home
A fire in Salem, Oregon, is being blamed on linseed-oil soaked rags improperly disposed of. According to fire officials, the oil-soaked rags ignited via spontaneous combustion. The woodworker and homeowner had used the rags on a project that day, and the rags ignited in the evening. Just a reminder that you should dispose of oil-soaked rags the right way: put them in a container with a lid for controlled disposal, or hang them to dry in a well ventilated area.
The homeowner suffered minor injuries, and damage is estimated to be around $60,000.
For more tips and information on this topic, and to watch a video of an oil-soaked rag combusting, check out this previous post from Fine Woodworking‘s Guide to Safety.